Monday, January 21, 2013

Somewhere New

In keeping with our 2013 goal to visit a new place each month, today we visited Roan Mountain and Roan Mountain State Park.  Roan Mountain State Park sits at the base of Roan Mountain near the city of Elizabethton, TN.  After visiting the area, I am a bit disappointed that it took us so long to make the trip.  It is a beautiful area.  We took some time to check out the campground and scope out sites that we liked.  I think we will making a camping trip there this summer.  We also checked out the cabins that are available for rent. A cabin rental timed to coincide with the full moon would be great.  I would very much like to see a moonrise from Round Bald on Roan Mountain.


The Appalachian Trail crosses the Balds of Roan Mountain.  I always get a little shiver of wanderlust when I set foot on the AT.  It is a combination of feeling the spirits of all the people who have walked there before and the knowledge that I could walk for days, if not months in either direction on the trail.  I only have to make the decision to take that first step.


You really have a feeling that you are on the top of the world as you look into Tennessee and North Carolina depending on the direction that you look.  It was a bit blustery today so we made today a short visit.  I definitely want to return when the temps are more cooperative to explore further.


As we explored the first peak of the bald, I found myself comparing it to a combination of Gregory Bald and Max Patch.  I can only imagine how beautiful it must be when the rhododendrons are in bloom.  One of the neat things about this trip was how accessible it was.  The pic of the fence was taken from the roadway.  This section of the AT is wide, smooth, and not very steep.  I highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for a day trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment