Monday, January 7, 2013

Running with dogs


Several months ago I started taking our dogs with me when I run.  Both dogs are rescues of questionable heritage.  We think Beau is half Australian Shepherd and half Sheltie.  Aja is anyone’s guess.  She has a caramel colored coat, but if you brush it in the opposite direction of its growth it is cream colored.  She has never barked but talks extensively which leads me to believe there might be some shibu inu in her family tree.  I choose our run route based on where other dogs live and am able to let them run off leash.  I started taking them to let them get some extra exercise, but as I run with them I find that I learn from them. 

Lessons learned:

Appreciate every run.  No matter the weather, the time of day, the day of the week or the number of times we have ran already in a particular week, Aja and Beau are always excited to go for a run.  They eagerly wait at the gate to the backyard and jump in excitement.  They approach each run with an excitement that I aspire to.  Sometimes I approach runs as chores to be completed, when I should take the time to appreciate each run.  There are many people who are unable or unwilling to do what I enjoy but sometimes take for granted.

Be aware of change.  Beau notices any change to anything on our runs.  If someone throws out a beer can, Beau sees it the next day.  If a car is parked in a different spot, Beau notices it.  If it has rained and the creek is higher, Beau notices.  He may be afraid of his own shadow, but he will never be caught unawares by change.  Any major change in our lives is often foreshadowed by smaller changes if only we take the time to notice and be aware.

Be friendly to the neighbors.  Aja has never met a stranger.  Her take on life is that everyone is there to see her and she shall greet them with gusto.  Any person who happens to be outside while we are running is promptly greeted.  Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the day to day that I forget or least don’t take the time to exchange hellos.

Pay no mind to your haters. Along our route we pass one house in particular where another dog lives.  It rarely leaves the yard, but barks everytime we pass.  Aja and Beau pay absolutely no mind to it.  They know he is of no danger to them and treat him accordingly.  Many of us (myself included) would do well to ignore those who bark negatives while we continue to move forward.

Enjoy the wildlife.  On any given day we may see deer, coyote, fox, owl, hawk, heron, kingfisher, groundhog, possum, squirrel, raccoon, or any number of smaller birds or mammals.  I sometimes take it for granted.  The dogs never do.  Ever.  Nothing is more exciting than a squirrel sighting.  Beau transforms from a slightly paranoid bundle of nerves into a squirrel hunting machine.  He fox hops his way through the trees chasing his quarry.  I’m not sure what he will do if he ever catches one, but he certainly enjoys the chase.

There is always an energy reserve.  Ten miles into any run the dogs have slowed their pace.  They stay on the road and stay by my side.  Until they see a squirrel.  Then any tiredness is forgotten.  They bolt like it is their first step of the day.  I need to remember that no matter how tired I may think I am, it is only my mind telling my body lies.  My legs aren’t going to fall off, my lungs aren’t going to explode and I’m not going to pass out.  Keep pushing!

The more I run with the dogs the more lessons I learn, if only I take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment