Thursday, January 31, 2013

Goal Check-in

I find it hard to believe that it's already time to say goodbye to January.  It has been a crazy weather month meaning we have used five of our built-in snow days so far.  Missing the extra days has given me great opportunities to work on my 2013 goals.  The end of the month presents a perfect time to check in on my progress on my 2013 goals.  

The original post about my 2013 goals can be found here .

Dallas' 2013 Personal Goals

Goal 1: Complete Covenant Health Marathon.
The race isn't until March so I obviously haven't completed this one, but I am on track with my training plan.  Last Sunday was a 15 mile run which matches my longest ever run.  The long run for the upcoming weekend will take me to 16 miles which will be a new personal best.  So far (knock on wood) my body feels good and I don't feel mentally tired from the miles.

Goal 2: Hike 150 new Smokies trail miles.
The crazy weather and marathon training have kept me from working on this goal at all.  Unfortunately, Hwy 441 across Newfound Gap is washed out and likely won't be repaired until late May.  That will have a bit of an effect on some of the hikes I had planned to this year.

Goal 3: Post a 5k time under 20 minutes.
Marathon training has trumped this goal as well.  After the marathon, I will start doing speed work to knock this one out.

Goal 4: Maintain weight under 200 lbs.
So far, pretty good.  I've been hovering at 202 and honestly haven't been putting much effort into watching my weight outside of the runs in the training plan and lifting weights.  In the back of my mind I do wonder if the weight lifting and this goal are counter productive towards each other.  Even though the number on the scale is consistent, I can tell a difference in my body since the beginning of the year.  I am gaining definition and loosing some of the stubborn midsection flab.

Goal 5: Run 1300 miles.
I ran 121 miles in January.  I will need to average 108 miles for each of the remaining months to meet this goal.  I am on track to meet the goal assuming I can stay healthy and uninjured.

Goal 6: Lift weights 3 times per week.
I dread it every day, but I have managed to lift three times each week so far.

Goal 7: Blog 2 times per week.
So far, so good.  The blogs have covered several different topics, but I have managed to post at least two blogs each week so far.  I hope people enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy the process.  It would be nice to get more comments/feedback.

Goal 8: Read ten books.
I finished The Life of Pi and Nature Travel in January.  I have a stack of McKay's purchases on the desk to carry me through the rest of the year.

Mutual goals

Goal 1: Keep credit cards paid off monthly.
January was a success!

Goal 2: Have 2X in savings.
We are on track to drastically exceed this goal.

Goal 3: Try 5 new fruits.
This month we both tried starfruit and lychee for the first time.  Both were ok, but not a new favorite.  The texture of the lychee especially turned me off from it.

Goal 4: Visit one new place each month.
On January 21st we paid a cold, snow covered visit to Roan Mountain and Roan Mountain State Park.  The blog about the trip, including pictures can be found here.


All in all, I feel like I am on track with my 2013 goals.  I have to stay mentally focused and keep myself healthy and uninjured to finish the year as successfully as I finished January.  I hope you are having similar success with your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment