Thursday, February 7, 2013

A digital hike

Due to marathon training and weather, I haven't been able to hike much this year so I'll have to settle for a digital hike.  


On November 11, 2011, I took my first solo hike.  I set out from the hiker parking lot below the Cosby Campground.  I made a loop using the Lower Mount Cammerer Trail, the AT, an out and back to Mount Cammerer and a portion of the Low Gap trail.  The total distance of the hike was 15.7 miles.  


There are several great examples of stone work completed by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) along the Lower Mount Cammer Trail.  

          

Near the intersection the the Lower Mount Cammerer trail is a small cemetery. Its always interesting to me to find these cemeteries in what is now the middle of nowhere.  It drives home the point that the area that is now the national park was once home to many people.


Someone had decorated the trail sign at the intersection of the Lower Mount Cammerer trail and the AT with a cap.  


The view from the Mount Cammerer fire lookout is quite impressive.


The Mount Cammerer Fire lookout is perched on a rocky outcrop providing excellent views.


Someone had left a libation for the god of the mountain.  I left it where it sat.


The Mount Cammerer fire tower is referred to as a western type lookout since it is a squat building on an outcrop opposed to a tower poking above the treeline.  


No comments:

Post a Comment